Elderly horse named Bubbles hides among a pack of rescued mini donkeys to escape slaughter
Old, with frostbitten ears, and probably abused most of his life. But his spirit was strong, and so Bubbles used his horse sense - and his sixth sense as well - to sneak away from a horrible fate and into the loving hearts of animal rescuers.
- Bubbles was being kept at a kill lot with the mini donkeys in North Texas
- Becky's Hope Horse Rescue arrived to save some of the donkeys from death
- Bubbles saw his way out and strolled right up to the nonprofit's trailer
- He waited for the donkeys and the rescue workers saw he wanted to 'blend in'
- Rescuers decided to pay $450 for Bubbles; he is now living on the Frisco ranch
An elderly horse named Bubbles staged a swift escape from a kill lot that would make any action hero proud when he tried to hide himself in a pack of mini donkeys.
Bubbles was destined for slaughter in Mexico when Becky's Hope Horse Rescue rolled up to rescue a few of the mini donkeys also being kept at his Texas kill pen.
The horse, who is believed to be near 30 years old, ignored a number of the lot's employees and strolled right up to the trailer, which he knew would take him to safety.
'He was intent that this was his ride out there,' Becky's Hope Horse Rescue wrote in a post about Bubbles on their Facebook page. 'We stood there staring as this old guy with crumbled ears from frostbite waited patiently for the group of mini donkeys to catch up so he could jump on the "freedom trailer" out of there'.
Sue Chapman, president of the nonprofit, said she believed Bubbles thought no one would notice him if he mixed in with the mini donkeys.
Continue reading, see more images of Bubbles and the donkeys, and watch VIDEO